Monday, April 21, 2008

Abigail Update

Here's the latest as of last Monday:

Well the doctor's appointment went really well today! The doctor looked at her brain with the ultrasound and he determined that the "holding tanks" for the fluid passing through the brain which were larger than normal didn't increase in size. They are the same as three weeks ago. Which he said was great news. He still wants to do the MRI because he says it wouldn't hurt anything. The Dr forgot to schedule it so I didn't do one today, but the radiology dept should call soon to set up an MRI some time in the next few weeks. It was so nice to hear that.

I asked about the gestational diabetes results and he at first thought he remembered that my numbers were high on that too, and he said he was waiting to pass along the bad news until later in the appt. He checked again and thank God he was wrong. we all giggled because it just couldn't have been me. not another thing wrong.

We talked a little about pediatricians. I asked what would happen regarding my situation since I would be departing from the hospital soon after the baby was born. He said the baby would definitely be monitored after birth...meaning she would most likely have an ultrasound or MRI done on her head after birth sometime. He also said if there was no cause for immediate concern than we could probably just go back to Augusta ensuring there would be good Dr's there to keep tabs on her.

I also mentioned to him that I was hoping to do a natural birth without meds. He said that the meds might be helpful during labor regarding my Chrone's and minimizing the stress on my body. He said that they would be monitoring the baby so my ability to move around would be some what limited to just the room. Which sounded fine to me. I don't need to be showing off that sexy hospital gown to the entire natal wing.

I reminded him that we are looking to get this baby out before June 19th and he laughed. I mentioned that the situation with Jay was the same (having to make a call that said "ok start driving") I also asked if he would for sure be the one delivering me, and he said that is a good possibility that it won't. He remembered that he had mentioned to me that I would need one of the more experienced doctors to handle the delivery since I have concerns regarding my chrone's. Apparently there are very few inexperienced ob's at Wilford Hall since they deliver about 200 babies a month! wow!

Overall, I left the doctors with a great sense of relief. Although, I hadn't allowed myself to get worked up over the news from the last appointment, it was great to hear that she is doing well. She is weighing in at 3lbs 4oz. now. She is just below avg on her size for this age. But she has stayed consistently just below avg on size over the last 8-12 weeks. She is really starting to look like a human being and less like a bony alien. It was great seeing her round face on the screen. She loves putting her hands in front of her face, so we only really see a little at a time. Either shy or doesn't like pictures. Knowing Jay and I she can't be shy...

Her femur bone is about 5 centimeters long which is about 2-3 inches I think. Her belly is about 7 inches long and her head about 9.5 centimeters...from that the Dr. told me she is about 14 inches long right now. Isn't that neat! Anyway...I think that is all that happened. I go back in exactly one month, so May 14th. I meet with one of Dr. Fausett's partners. That will be helpful to meet him because he could possibly be delivering me too. I can't wait to see what she'll look like then, and how big she'll be then too. oh my!

I hope all of you are well. Talk to you all soon. Lauren Lea

P.S. Sorry no pictures this time, feet and hands were all up in the way.

No comments: