Friday, November 23, 2007

Oh Turkey Day!

Well friends and family my favorite holiday has come and gone yet another year. I have such fond memories of waking up early Thursday morning at my parents house to wonderful aromas drifting back from the kitchen my mother had no doubt been slaving in for several hours. The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is always first on the agenda, then I would get dressed because so many family members and friends would be arriving soon. Grandma Austin, Betty to some, was always first to arrive toting her famous pumpkin pie...one for the family and always one for ME!

Once dressed, I would catch up with old G-Ma while I did my notorius duty of creating or dressing the pickled vegetable tray. It was a work of art that I had mastered right down to 10 black olive tipped fingers. They tasted better that way, right Jay.

Once the large extended family, including friends, had arrived the house was filled with laughter, "howdy do"s, hugs and kisses, and screaming and running kids. Oh and of course me tasting and nibbling everything in the kitchen that was on its way to completion. It was amazing how my mom was, and is, always able to hold up interesting conversation, probably more than one at a time, all the while orchestrating her Thanksgiving feast production. The lady could do it with her eyes closed.

After everyone had stuffed themselves to the point of exhaustion, it was time to rest our heads back for the Cowboys game. Oh and by the way...you wouldn't find mom resting right next to us...the dishes just weren't going to do themselves...don't think she had stopped the multiple conversations either.
Every year, Thanksgiving Day was a blessing in itself for me. When Jay entered my life, I began to notice more and more that I had to be thankful for. He brings that out in people. He called yesterday and he told me about his pumpkin pie experience as well. He emailed a great photo of him and his soldiers I thought I would share. I am so happy we could talk on this special, and my very favorite, holiday.
I also told him of my holiday...which included Angie, Nick, KoKo, Molly, Killer, and I. Angie and I cooked like dueling chefs Wendesday night and Thursday morning. We had a great meal, great desserts and great football. Oh and one other similarity to the many Thanksgivings past, our "Killer" Cowboys' fan needed a nap too.
I hope everyone had a blessed Thanksgiving. We all have so much to be thankful for in our lives. Jay and I are so happy to have all of you in our life. You bring us great love and support whenever we need it. We hope that we provide that blessing to you as well.
And so now on to the next festivity...I hear the faint sound of Jingle Bells in the air...oh wait that is the radio stations already playing the music.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday too..I think that Mom had some influence over that. I remember that while you were eating olives off your fingers I was loading up a plate full of chips and dip (cheese dip that is) and all those wonderfully cheesey side dishes. Its amazing how much food we can eat on that one day...oh what a wonderful place it would be if every day was thanksgiving day! (smile)

Rhonda said...

Yay for Pumpkin Pie! Love you Mag and Jay! Miss you!